Thursday, July 26, 2007

Chain-saw & Trees

"You are allowed to open the test paper now and read through it, but do not write anything on it until I say so..." says the examiner.

"I wonder what's the questions they have today... Standard Deviation? Economic Analysis?" I thought to myself as I flipped open the first page of the test paper.

Suddenly I heard a loud noise, "Damn! Who's making that loud noise with a chain-saw" I am annoyed. "Chain-saw? How could someone bring a chain-saw into the examination hall?" Then the loud noise again!

Slowly, I opened up my eyes... "Where am I?". Lying on my bed, wild awake and annoyed, I saw the ChFC 07 course notes sitting beside me... Suddenly, I realised... "Damn! It was a dream! But I almost get to see the questions on the paper!!!"

Upset with the continuous high-pitch loud noise from the chain-saw that spoiled my dream, I got up from the bed and opened up the curtain to see what the hell is going on!?

As I opened up the curtain, I was surprised to see a few workers trying very hard to carry a tree trunk up the pick-up car... "what happened to those trees that were lining up infront of my windows? Ah! Maybe they finally realised that the tree branches are knocking on our roof whenever the wind blows!" Excited by the scene, I stand at the window to supervise the workers. Again, I hear the chain-saw loud noise, they're cutting down yet another tree at the corner of the garder, and like the previous one, once the tree is down, all of them gathered around the tree and pull it up to the pick-up car to send it away. This action continue for a few hours, as I on and off supervise their work... Now next door garden seems rather empty, as the trees are gone and the workers are picking up the remainder of branches from the ground. I suddenly have a sense of emptiness...

I still couldn't figure out why they decided to chop down the trees, but whatever it is, it is their decision. I am amazed to see how fast the trees are being pulled down and sent away... but God knows how many years it took for the trees to grow this tall and strong. The workers are now resting and having their lunch, wouldn't they have a slight feel of sadness and emptiness? I do not know about them... but I do.

The chain-saw sits quietly next to one of the workers... it has ended up the precious life of these trees. In a world of nature, if the trees and chain-saw talk... would the trees scream in pain, "please spare my life! please don't kill me!"...

No comments: