Saturday, July 5, 2008

Rest in peace - Zhonnie & 2 puppies

Last Friday night, 4 July 2008, we came home @ about10.30pm.

Unlike any other day, our house compound was exceptionally quiet... we don't see the puppies running towards our car and try to 'catch' us while we tried to enter the house... which they usually would.

Hubby and I suddenly had a very bad feeling, "something is not right!", "this can't be it!” bad thoughts kept playing in our minds but none of us speak a word. As we dragged out tired body to first floor of our house, my father-in-law was waiting for us in the living room... He came to us as if something serious had happened, then he told us: "all the dogs are death!"... I suddenly realized - the worse had happened! All the dogs? Did he mean our 3-year old Zhonnie & the 4 puppies?? Then my father-in-law said: "but one of the puppies ran away...”

My husband I went out to the balcony and tried to call the puppy home. As we stepped out to the balcony, I noticed that the puppy was next door, underneath our neighbor’s car. As we called "puppy... puppy...” it came running back home to us as if seeing its rescuer, we went downstairs to check on the puppy... it was fine, but it was the only one left (out of the 5-dogs-gang we used to have!)... Everyone was quiet, no one said a word. After making sure the only puppy was alright... Hubby and I took our shower and went to bed... without saying anything at all... we sad and angry; sad because our loyal dog - Zhonnie & 3 puppies were death, angry because someone near to our house has poisoned them!!!

The next day morning, Saturday, 5 July 2008 @ about 8am, hubby kissed on my cheek to say goodbye as he was ready to work... I opened up my eyes, heard hubby said..."2 puppies came back"... so I rushed out to see, 2 of them (1 male & 1 female) was underneath hubby's car, but 2 of them were badly poisoned, they couldn't move at all. So I thought to myself, at least 3 of them survive; I must do something to rescue them... fast! Seeing them suffering really break my heart, I rushed to the room, grabbed my hand phone and start calling any vet numbers that I know, finally I got hold of an Egyptian doctor - Dr Mamdoh. He came after half and hour, checked on the 2 puppies, gave them medicine and injections, Dr told me that if they can survive today, they would be fine... Just make sure the medicine is fed to them again at 5pm.

Since I still need to work that afternoon (SCB Ceramic Exhibition), off I left at about 12:00 noon. At work, about 4:00pm, I received a phone call from hubby that 1 of the puppies couldn't make it... that's the short-tailed female one (the 1 that hubby loved most). Nothing can be done, we have tried our best but the poison was too strong... Someone (our neighbor’s worker) has buried it for us... I'd choose not to look at the body; I just want to remember it as a happy and energetic puppy of which I adopted 4 months ago always.

Out of all the sad news, (we thank God) 2 of the puppies made it. They are still on medication, but recovering. I noticed they are not as cheerful and hyper as before, probably shaken badly by the incident of losing their friends. Dogs also need time to recover from the pain, what more hubby and I, losing our loyal Zhonnie of 3 years and 2 puppies that we adopted since infancy. I will never adopt puppies anymore, just can't bear seeing something bad happen to them, they are so helpless & defenseless...

We adopted Zhonnie 3 years ago from Seria and 4 of the puppies on 13th March 2008 from Lumut.

No comments: